Friday, October 17, 2008

Fall Crafts and Other Fall Break Happenings

Carving a pumpkin takes precision and skill, something I obviously lack. The mutilated Jack-O-Lantern proves it! We started with a well shaped pumpkin with just the right leaning to display a "face." I drew a face with a Sharpie to define my carving pattern. It took several minutes to get the top off. Lillian kept reassuring me it took her teacher a long time, too.

They finally start to remove the gunk from the middle. Lucas would rather kiss the pumpkin.
I was told she should pose for the picture first before getting her hands dirty because that's what her teacher said.
Lucas plays with the top, smearing it all over his clothes while chomping on a stray piece of cat food.

Switch from cat food to pumpkin- both equally delicious!
Resort to a big spoon when hands get too slimy... because that's what the teacher did. Seriously, enough with the hero worship of the teacher. (Just kidding- I wish some of my students would hero worship me. Maybe they would turn in an assignment on time so I'm not grading late work over Fall Break)

The finished product. Disgusting, isn't it? We added eyelashes to try to hide the mutilated eyes.


Lillian and I did this while Lucas napped this morning. Note the OSU and LY initials.The other shapes are ghosts, pumpkins, and a witch's pot.

Painting pumpkins


2 comments:

Candice said...

It's great to see you guys doing crafts and such together! That is what I dream of doing with my kids someday!

Melinda said...

You are lucky...Jack screams bloody mary every year b/c he doesn't want to touch the insides of the pumpkin and my niece almost throws-up.

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity